- Coffee filter
- Black pipe cleaner
- Tongue depressor with pre-cut holes
- Open up coffee filter and press with your hand to flatten it out.
- Cut the filter from the outside edge just into the middle and leave flat.
- Color on the coffee filter your butterfly anyway that you like. The sample shown resembles a beautiful monarch since the colors used are orange, yellow, white and black. For various types of butterflies go to your local library and checkout a book that may be found in the J 595.789 section.
- After you have completely colored the coffee filter, gather where you have made the cut and the opposite edge together.
- Take the black pipe cleaner and fold it in half. Place the gathered coffee filter into it where it is folded.
- Next pick up the tongue depressor with the holes put one end of the pipe cleaner through it. Bring up this end to meet the other end and twist them together to secure the coffee filter to the stick. Form the two ends of the pipe cleaner to look like the sample's antennae.
- After you are finished hold the stick and gently make your butterfly flutter. It will look like it's about to fly away.